Where will I work?

Licensed Vocational Nurses work in hospitals, clinics, doctors’ offices, nursing and long-term care facilities, ambulatory surgical centers, emergency medical centers, private homes, and group homes. As the U.S. population ages, the overall need for healthcare is expected to increase. This trend will lead to increased employment of licensed vocational nurses in hospitals, physicians' offices, and other healthcare settings.Employment for this important career is expected to grow by as much as 21% between 2008 and 2018.U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2010-11


The median wage in 2012 for Licensed Vocational Nurses in California was $51,760 annually, or $24.88 hourly. The median is the point at which half of the workers earn more and half earn less.

Annual Wages for 2012Low
(25th percentile)
(50th percentile)
(75th percentile)
Source: EDD/LMID Occupational Employment Statistics Survey, 2012 Wages do not reflect self-employment.



Benefits usually include vacation, sick leave, medical and dental insurance, and retirement plans.

What is the Job Outlook?

Growth in the employment of LVNs is in response to the long-term care needs of a rapidly growing elderly population and the general growth of healthcare. Replacement needs will be a major source of job openings as workers leave the occupation. Nursing homes will offer the most new jobs for LVNs as the number of aged and disabled people who need long-term care rises. Hospitals are continually under pressure to lower costs and are progressively using more LVNs in place of registered nurses. Increasingly, LVNs will also find jobs outside the traditional hospital setting as healthcare delivery changes.

In California, the number of Licensed Vocational Nurses is expected to grow faster than average growth rate for all occupations. Jobs for Licensed Vocational Nurses are expected to increase by 22.5 percent, or 14,500 jobs between 2010 and 2020.

Source: EDD/LMID Occupational Employment Statistics Survey, 2012

Will I need a State License?

The law requires Vocational Nurses be BVNPT licensed to work. To get the LVN license it′s required to pass a licensing examination after completing a State-approved Vocational Nursing program. Students will be eligible to take the NCLEX-PN licensure examination to become licensed after completion of the CES College VN program.

Program Information Disclosure

Program is accredited by the California Board of Vocational Nursing and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT). Passage of the NCLEX-PN exam is required for licensure as a Licensed Vocational Nurse and for employment in California. Click here for license examination pass rate information.

O*Net Occupation TitlesSoc CodeLinks to Occupational Profiles on O*Net
Licensed Practical and Licensed Vocational Nurses: Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Charge Nurse, Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), Clinic Licensed Practical Nurse (CLINIC LPN), Pediatric Licensed Practical Nurse (PEDIATRIC LPN), Clinic Nurse, Office Nurse, Private Duty Nurse, Triage Licensed Practical Nurse (TRIAGE LPN)29-2061.00http://www.onetonline.org/link/summary/29-2061.00
How do I enroll in the program?

The enrollment process is straight forward - you need to have a High School Diploma or GED, pass an entrance exam and have a personal interview with the Program Director.  It is important to remember that if there are more students who qualify for admissions than available seats, the students will be selected in accordance with the Screening and Selection Criteria. A copy of the form can be obtained from the school staff. The selection criteria takes into the account your test score, your previous education and experience, etc. Please call the school and our friendly admissions representatives will be happy to help! 


Textbook Information:
The higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA) requires institutions of higher education who receive federal financial assistance (including private institutions), to the maximum extent practicable, and in a manner of the institution’s choosing, to disclose textbook information. All textbooks at CES COLLEGE are included in the cost of the program and are distributed at the beginning of each program/course/module and/or level, depending on the program. Textbooks, once distributed, are the property of the student.

Learning Resources: CES COLLEGE has various resources available for the students on campus. Please check with your instructor. In addition, please use Connect to Evolve Elsevier Resources – Electronic learning solutions serving faculty and students in the nursing and health professions.

Any questions?

Visit our campus: 401 South Glenoaks Blvd., Suite 211, Burbank, CA 91502

School Performance Fact Sheet